Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Amp application

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Amp application

    I will be using SS amps in tri-amp arrangement. In the three bands, -500Hz, 500-5000Hz and 5000 plus with 416-8B and 808/511B. Should I put the smoothest amp on the 416 or the 808 ?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp application

    "Smooth" is pretty generic but if I understand you right, I'd put it on the 808. I use two or three SS amps on 416B and 811's w/802's and am using the preamp section of one of those amps, an integrated, with pretty good results. The integrated, a Kenwood 500, has a FET preamp that delivers a fairly warm signal transfer. There is nothing harsh or cold about the reproduction. For the 416's I am using a JBL6290, power and damping to spare with that. I have used another amp, also SS, to run a pair of Heil AMT's, crossing them over at 9000 hz.

    Again, my opinion is that the compression drivers would benefit the most from the smoothest amp you have. The woofers are a lot more forgiving below 500 hz.

    What type of preamp and crossover are you using?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Amp application

    Luxman R 1050 receiver

    Sony TA 4650 Vfet integrated

    Sony 1120 integrated

    also, NAD 3020e.

    Crossover Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp application

    I'm not chummy with any of those amps mate, but I'd use the one you'd least like dropped on your toe for the 416s. Given that an amp's weight is largely in the PS, the heaviest PS will likely give the cleanest LF peaks. You don't need much for the upper end(s), but preferrably one(s) that won't f@rt DC.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Amp application

    The Luxman I purchased new when I was a young bloke. The others I picked up used in the last few years.

    Some detail on these amps-

    Luxman Luxman R-1050 & R-1040 on TVK

    Sony Sony TA-4650 on TVK & Sony TA-1120A on TVK

    The Vintage Knob is at THEVINTAGEKNOB : vintage audio museum

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Amp application


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.